Hi there, happy Tuesday! Slimplify Life has a new home 🙂. Still a bit of a work in progress as I teach myself some coding.
Thank you for all the well wishes yesterday, you guys are the best!
The past few weeks I have been experimenting with ‘easy to digest foods’ and have found that this can mean two things:
1 – All natural, non processed, and therefore easy to digest (think Raw Food Diet, Paleo, etc.)
2 – Low fiber, low fat foods that are easy to digest (think BRAT diet)
My body had trouble with anything I put in it (because I needed antibiotics!). Things continued to get worse, and I soon found that the only thing I was able to eat in a day was 1 banana. Anything above that triggered crippling pains. This is far from sustainable and as my weight rapidly dropped I knew I needed to seek help.
But let’s rewind. I started eating raw foods. Why are these easy to digest?
- You eat whole, real foods. This eliminates preservatives, additives, coloring, and added sugars that may be causing irritation.
- High fiber diet which may improve digestion.
- Improves “gut health” by providing your body with the much needed nutrients.
I then moved to low fiber, low protein, and low fat foods. Why are these easy to digest?
- This is often known as the BRAT Diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast) which are soft foods that allow your GI tract to recover and rest.
- Specifically designed to eliminate high fiber, high fat foods which can often cause stomach irritation.
- **This is no longer recommended for children as the American Academy of Pediatrics now wants children to keep fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats in their diets if possible.
The #1 lesson I’ve learned from my diet changes and research is to listen to your body and do what works for you! As soon as I had a “trigger” food, my body sure let me know…I could quite literally listen to my body because it was making such loud noises.
I also did a lot of horizontal running to rest and recover =).
I have an appointment with the GI doc this morning and I am crossing my fingers for good news!I have a delicious recipe coming at ya soon that uses anti-inflammatory ingredients to ease digestion. Can you see a pattern in recent posts?! I swear I’ll get back to normal, healthy, amazing delicious recipes soon =).I hope you all have a wonderful day!